MY Recommendations for Speeding up ListGO Please Add Yours.

Listing & Directory WordPress Theme
https://listgo.wiloke.com/
MMM

MY Recommendations for Speeding up ListGO Please Add Yours.

Postby MMM » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:01 pm Supported Until: Fri Apr 13 07:38:48 +1000 2018

I am getting private messages asking details on website speed optimization. I thought I will write a short topic. Please feel free to correct or add as I don’t claim to be an expert but I have spent countless hours optimizing websites over many years and it’s never an exact science as there are so many variables in Hosting, Geo location, Script & Plugins etc.

Believe it or not ListGo is really well optimised out of the box, yes congrats PirateS well done! Most themes will NOT involve themselves in providing minified JS or CSS script.

To load a webpage for view there are essential components that need to be loaded as quickly as possible optimized images and minimal script which is loaded above the fold and less essential components are loaded below the fold. Essentially we want the minimal amount loaded at start but this can be tricky, if you don’t load enough it won’t work or the text and component positions won’t go where you want them to go. So it has to be just right.

Firstly images - Small enough to load in fast, but retain quality.
IMAGE OPTIMIZATION PLUGINS:
1. Insanity: My favourite to optimise on upload media images & galleries. Set and forget.
2. Optimus – WordPress Image Optimizer.
3. Smush Image Compression and Optimization

Secondly - SCRIPT MINIFY PLUGINS:
1. WP Speed of Light
2. Fast Velocity Minify
3. Autoptimize : Normally really good but not the best for ListGO
PS. if any minified plugin breaks your website then deactivate - as I said ListGO has already minified scripts

Minify & CACHE:
1. WP Speed of Light
2. WP Fastest Cache
3. WP Super Cache

What I am using for my ListGO
WP Speed of Light all toggles on for minification CSS and JavaScript it seems to work really well with ListGO and gets great test results with Google speed insights / GT Metrix has also Cache built in so its great all round and easy to use.
However I get slightly better results using WP Fastest Cache as just Cache and leaving the minification handling to WP Speed of Light.

Edit: In the past haven't had success with Cloudfare and seems to cause me issues again so have reverted back and deleted Cloudfare.
Cloudfare may be OK for you but I have stopped using it as it seems to give me an intermittent issue.

Hope this helps some to get ListGO running faster for you. Also this works for me but suggestions are just that so you can do your own tests and always backup first!!! Regards MMM
Last edited by MMM on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pirateS
Site Admin

Re: MY Recommendations for Speeding up ListGO Please Add Yours.

Postby pirateS » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:22 am

Hi,
Thank so much @MMM.

t347s

Postby t347s » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:14 am Supported Until: Tue Feb 27 19:18:24 +1100 2018

@MMM,
Thank you for this mini tutorial, is essential for any new user who start an adventure with wordpress and listgo theme. You are a example, in any other development community this kind of user like you (super user) is needed but they are very rare; so congratulations from me.
As from my point of view, i didn't reach at optimization level with my project but i have a few question, do you combine minify by plugin with wiloke compress together or only by plugin? What Fast Velocity Minify options do you recommend? What Pingdom score do you obtained?

Thank you!

MMM

Postby MMM » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:34 am Supported Until: Fri Apr 13 07:38:48 +1000 2018

My testing from Pingdom as attached https://www.dropbox.com/s/j72rfuh1k2jn9 ... m.jpg?dl=0 gives results from 3 locations. Scores can sometimes look impressive but don't relate to actual world results. I clone my entire website and test using differing methods.

WP Speed of Light all toggles on for minification CSS and JavaScript it seems to work really well with ListGO and gets great test results with Google speed insights / GT Metrix has also Cache built in so its great all round and easy to use.
However I get slightly better results using WP Fastest Cache as just Cache and leaving the minification handling to WP Speed of Light.
Last edited by MMM on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.

satriyo

Postby satriyo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:18 pm Supported Until: Sun Apr 01 19:55:07 +1000 2018

@MMM,
This is great. Something that thar be resourceful for future customers and yes, myself. I've been doing trial and error since day one purchase this great themes and finally get the best performance for my site and my local visitors.

Los of people however, forget and rely to external tools like pingdom, GT metrix, and likes but forget to quantify the "real end user experience" hence every tweak in regard for speed or performance of the site is different for each of us. So the question is, how to simulate this so called end user experience?

For myself, simply simulate this via my laptop browsers (yes, more than one browser) and mobile phone. Useful tools for these kind of tests that I used is 2
1. Clear cache extension (most of changes in tweak, eg minify, caching options on plugins or web server, JS will need us to clear the cache. So with this tools, easily do this with extension, though you always can do it manually). So I will get view if the tweak break for site or not and you always can fall back easily if something goes wrong and know exactly the main culprit, hence avoiding to do this again.
2. Page load timer extension. This is the main tools, the objective is clear to see by definition, to see how much time for our site to be fully load/rendered on the display.

Use these tools on different browsers (chrome, firefox, safari, etc) get myself knowledge how it rendered on different users clients and most time, how they behave in term of speed is different, so I will focus on my target customer (not mine, eg.. I primarily use safari but my visitors will dominantly use chrome, so I focus on testing on chrome but not forget other as well).

To be continue.....

MMM

Postby MMM » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:43 pm Supported Until: Fri Apr 13 07:38:48 +1000 2018

Thanks @Satryio ... you make a good point ..."every tweak in regard for speed or performance of the site is different for each of us" fully agree there is no magic wand.. optimize, try and test.

jcolome

Postby jcolome » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:15 am Supported Until: Thu Feb 22 16:09:06 +1100 2018

@MMM - do you recommend fast velocity and a cache plugin as well ? (wp fastest cache)

MMM

Postby MMM » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:14 am Supported Until: Fri Apr 13 07:38:48 +1000 2018

jcolome WroteColon@MMM - do you recommend fast velocity and a cache plugin as well ? (wp fastest cache)

Edit: I have had issues with Cloudfare so stopped using it. thought it was one of my plugins but turns out its CloudFare causing the issues.

Your testing may prove different but that's what I am using... Now and this may change as ListGO changes I will keep testing until I get the best results :)
Last edited by MMM on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcolome

Postby jcolome » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:57 pm Supported Until: Thu Feb 22 16:09:06 +1100 2018

Thank you @MMM

very nice info - getting a 93 and 76 on GTmetrix

superb

MMM

Postby MMM » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:04 pm Supported Until: Fri Apr 13 07:38:48 +1000 2018

...Wow, cool @Jcolome glad it helped. Better than my GTmetrix score, well done! are you using Cloudfare or any type of CDN? I don't seem to have success with Cloudfare, works great at first but then slows down or gives me other issues. Would love to know if others have more success with Cloudfare.

Return to “ListGo”