owl carousel running too fast

Andy Salt

Re: owl carousel running too fast

Postby Andy Salt » Sat May 06, 2017 9:31 pm Supported Until: Wed Sep 20 22:23:00 +1000 2017 | Expired

By the way, if anyone else has had a similar experience to me in which you've given these developers admin rights to your website, you'll find these guys have both installed and activated a caching plugin called 'W3 Total Cache'.

So the first thing I wanted to do was delete this caching plugin. Annoyingly, however, this plugin integrates with Wordpress and your other plugins in such a way that it's impossible to just deactivate it delete it. There's a decent tutorial on how to do it here: http://redstarwebdevelopment.com/2013/0 ... tal-cache/. You'll need an FTP client like FileZilla to achieve some of this.

In my case, it was complicated further by the fact that I restored a backup before trying to delete the plugin, thinking it would wipe the plugin in the process, but it leaves traces of its structure which meant, for example, I couldn't then upgrade my Yoast SEO plugin because it was expecting its own W3 Total Cache element to be active.

So my advice is to do it in this order:
• disable all the caching features of the W3 Total Cache plugin while it is still active
• deactivate and delete the plugin as described in http://redstarwebdevelopment.com/2013/0 ... tal-cache/
• restore your backup
• make yourself a stiff drink and wonder if life was supposed to be this complicated

pirateS
Site Admin

Postby pirateS » Sun May 07, 2017 12:40 am

Hi,
Please calm down! I don't delete the previous version; there are 2 Asgard themes in your wp-content folder, asgard1: it's the latest version and Asgard: it's the previous version that has been customized by you.
Secondly: Not Asgard, it's for any WordPress theme, directly modify code is the best choice. There are two ways to do it:
1. Put your code into Custom CSS (if the theme supports that)
2. Using child theme.

W3Total Cache: I'm sorry about that, I just want to help you to improve your site speed. If you don't want to use it, simply delete it.
Regards to Yoast SEO: There are no reasons to could not upgrade the plugin if you are using W3 Total Cache. W3 Total Cache supports purge cache button, so you can use this feature to re-update HTML structure.
Thanks

Andy Salt

Postby Andy Salt » Sun May 07, 2017 6:36 am Supported Until: Wed Sep 20 22:23:00 +1000 2017 | Expired

I'm not certain that telling me to calm down is particularly professional either. I am perfectly calm. In fact, I'm remarkably calm considering what you just did to my website. My new copywriting business launched on Monday this week, and between Wednesday and Saturday this week, my website did not look as I wanted it to because of what you did. Typography is important to me.

I have fixed it now after a couple of hours work removing plugins, restoring backups, reinstating my custom CSS and deleting various files via FTP. I will never again make the mistake of providing someone I don't know with an admin login to my WordPress backend, so I have learned a valuable lesson I suppose.

Anyway, I don't want to have an argument with you, I just want some support on a technical point. So could you please try to help me control the slide intervals of the owl carousel? The change you made to the functionality plugin did not work, so perhaps a different approach is required?

pirateS
Site Admin

Postby pirateS » Sun May 07, 2017 8:33 am

Please download this file https://www.dropbox.com/s/vamaad96j55lj ... pt.js?dl=0 and upload into Asgard -> assets -> js -> min folder.
I just stress that again, you SHOULD NOT directly customize code in any theme, not any WordPress but also any product, any CMS.
Thanks

Return to “Asgard”