heading tags

Andy Salt

heading tags

Postby Andy Salt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:01 pm Supported Until: Wed Sep 20 22:23:00 +1000 2017 | Expired

Hi. I'm setting up an Asgard themed blog, and I'm currently looking into the correct use of HTML heading tags (h1, h2, h3 etc). I've noticed that on each post, the "post__entry-title" is wrapped in an h2 tag. Can you please explain why this is not h1, since it is the title of the post? And since it is not h1, what is the h1 on a blog post webpage in this theme?

The answer you give will help me to determine how to use my heading and sub-heading tags correctly in the content of each blog post. I currently have my main headings within the content set to h1, but I gather it is not best practice to have multiple h1s on a page, even with HTML5. So should I set these to h3 so that they are treated as sub-headers of the post entry title?

pirateS
Site Admin

Re: heading tags

Postby pirateS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:38 am

Hi,
Thank for your feedback. We will update this issue soon.
Best regards

Andy Salt

Postby Andy Salt » Sat May 06, 2017 8:32 pm Supported Until: Wed Sep 20 22:23:00 +1000 2017 | Expired

Hi. Is there any chance you could answer the question I asked on 25th April? Telling me you'll 'update the issue soon' is non-information. I don't know what it means. The answer to my question is almost certainly one of the following two:
• Yes, that's a mistake, the entry title should be an h1 tag. Your headers in blog posts should be h2, subheaders should be h3 and so on. We will update our code in the next refresh, but for now, please change this line ...... in this .php file ..... from this ..... to this ......
• We cannot change the entry title to an h1 tag because ...... , so it must remain an h2 tag. Your headers in blog posts should be h3, subheaders should be h4 and so on.

Don't forget that this issue is affecting SEO for all your customers, not just me.

pirateS
Site Admin

Postby pirateS » Sun May 07, 2017 12:42 am

This bug already fixed from the latest version. Please check that.

Andy Salt

Postby Andy Salt » Sun May 07, 2017 7:07 am Supported Until: Wed Sep 20 22:23:00 +1000 2017 | Expired

For various reasons, I don't want to install any updates at the moment. Using clues like your use of the word 'bug', I'll try to guess what you've done and provide an answer to my question as though I was you. Maybe you'd be kind enough to confirm whether my guess is correct:

• You were right - it was a mistake having the the entry title as an h2 tag in the theme's blog posts; thank you for spotting that. In our latest theme update, the entry title now has an h1 tag instead. Your headers in blog posts should be h2, sub-headers should be h3, sub-sub-headers should be h4 and so on. This will maximise your SEO by providing a suitable HTML structure for the webpage upon which the blog post appears. So in your case, assuming you can update the theme, you'll need to go back through the posts you've already published and relegate the h1s to h2s, h2s to h3s, h3s to h4s and so on. If you can't update the theme, you'll need to go back through the posts you've already published and relegate the h1s to h3s, h2s to h4s, h3s to h5s and so on.

pirateS
Site Admin

Postby pirateS » Sun May 07, 2017 8:38 am

I mean h1 tag has been replaced in the version that you are used. Again this is a reason why you should not directly customize code in a theme.
Thanks

Return to “Asgard”